About the Canon MT-24EX Flash System Review
Photography is the art of the soul and as dedicated enthusiasts, we have dedicated extensive time and effort in reviewing hundreds of user reviews, comments, expert’s reviews, and feedback, to share the exclusive features and qualities of the Canon MT-24EX flash unit.
Our MT-24EX review will guide you through the unique aspects of this canon macro flash and illustrate its pros and cons in professional and hobbyist settings.
We encourage you to post your own varied experiences or share your questions about the MT-24EX flash unit in our comments section.
Read the rest of the Canon Twin Lite mt-24ex flash review below:
Table of Contents (jump ahead!)
- Photographers’ Reviews
- Pros & Cons
- Best uses
- What’s in the box?
- Frequently Bought Together
- Photos taken with Canon MT-24EX
- Canon Macro Flash for Beginning Photographers
- Canon MT-24EX Macro Manuals
- Experts’ Advices
- Bottom Line
- Best Canon Macro lenses to use with Canon MT-24EX
- Perfect gift for the photographer
- The bestselling books about the Flash Photography
1. Overview of the Canon mt-24ex Macro Twin Lite Flash
The MT-24EX is a highly versatile, quality flash unit used by professionals and hobbyists alike in producing quality macro photography in a variety of settings.
Compatible with all Canon EF Macro Lenses, the endless configurations possible by this unit suits it for a variety of purposes including close-up shots and flash in natural light settings, dramatically improving quality and clarity.
The dynamic quality of light enhances macro photographs with twin flash heads for superior directional control.
The detachable MT-24EX flash slides over the end of the lens by means of a flash mount ring secured by four catches.
The two small flash heads rotate over 80 degree angles and can be adjusted at 5 degree increments, allowing the heads to be adjusted individually in and out or rotated around the ring.
The flash mount ring can be adjusted and rotated, allowing both flash heads to move simultaneously.
The dedicated flash hood eliminates flare and allows for a clear, crisp picture.
2. Features of Canon Macro Twin Lite mt-24ex Flash System
The Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX also boasts a large LCD panel with clear indicators for easy reading.
In addition to the customizable flash heads, the MT24EX unit features incandescent focusing lamps, and two different types of 1-second modeling flash which allow quick focus and clear lighting previews.
With a Guide Number of 78 and full E-TTL control, the MT 24 EX is powerful system with a variety of E-TTL features including FEL, Hi-speed sync, and FEB, allowing full E-TTL automatic flash control with compatible models of EOS bodies.
3. Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX Specifications:
- Type: A macro flash unit with customizable and adjustable twin flash heads including a controller unit fitted with an LCD screen.
- Guide Number: 72 (feet) / 22 (m), at ISO 100 or with modeling Flash, a one-second burst at 70Hz in E-TTL
- Duration of Flash: C.Fn 4-1 on MT-24EX, one-second burst at 70Hz by pressing Controller Unit’s test
- Control System for Flash: Compensation for Flash +/- exposure, Ratio Control of left : right (A:B) flash tubes over a 6-stop range, Wireless E-TTL compatible off-camera 550EX or 420EX Slave Units, Flash Exposure Bracketing, FE Lock, and FP Sync.
- Power Source: The Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX flash is powered with 4 AA batteries in the controller unit, and Compact Battery Pack E or E2 for external power source.
1) Average Amazon.com rating: 5 stars out of 9 reviews
2) Average BHphotoandvideo.com rating: 5 stars out of 58 reviews
3) Average Adorama.com rating: 4,7 stars out of 5 reviews
Canon Experts’ Rating:
- Features – 4,6
- Performance – 5
- Price / Value – 4,7
- Quality – 5
- Satisfaction – 5
5. Photographers’ Reviews & Feedbacks
“As a twin flash, this works and helps take great macro photos. It provides better light control with individually adjustable twin lights. In addition it can control a third light (such as… (read more from here: Canon macro twin lite mt-24ex flash review)“
“There are times when I have to capture moving subjects, and the high speed sync function works great when you need to push a faster shutter speed but…(read more from here: Canon mt 24ex review)”
“Where I used to struggle just to get the correct exposure, now I’m able to concentrate on background (no night-looking flash fall-off anymore) and…(read more from here: Canon macro twin lite mt-24ex flash feedback)”
6. Accessories for Canon MT-24EX
The MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Flash’s versatility can be further enhanced by utilizing the many accessories available to be used in conjunction with the 24EX-MT flash.
There are many third party sources for Adapter Rings, which are essential for using the canon MT 24EX flash in other EOS bodies.
The CANN55-9291 Macro Lite Adapter 58C allows connection of the Ring to 58mm specified camera lenses.
Another excellent adaptor is the Canon FA-DC67A Filter Adapter compatible with Canon MR-14EX and MT-24EX Speedlites.
Other accessories, such as a Macro Extension Tube Set Kit allow for extreme close-up shots with precise clarity and quality.
The Fotodiox Canon EOS Macro Extension Tube Kit makes an excellent addition for anyone specializing in close-up macro photography and can be used with the canon MT24EX.
Find more popular and bestselling accessories for a Canon mt-24ex macro flash:
The Stofen OM-24XSET consists of two diffusers specifically designed for the Canon MT-24EX Twin Lite Flash.
The Omni-Bounce creates a diffused bare bulb effect, giving even coverage across the entire frame, with lenses from 15mm to 200mm in the 35mm format (and equal in other formats as well).
Omni-Bounce is easy to use and goes onto and off the flash in seconds with custom fitting (except for UNI model) and no touch fastener.
Designed for years of service without the bulk of some other diffusers, it is small enough to fit easily into a gadget bag or pocket.
Canon OC-E3 Off Camera Shoe Cord maintains all on-camera flash functions (including E-TTL II) for one Canon Speedlite used off-camera at distances up to 2′ (60 cm).
It is compatible with all Canon EOS cameras except the 630 and RT (which require a combination of TTL Hot Shoe Adapter 3, OA-2 Off Camera Shoe Adapter & Connecting Cord 60).
With the many quality features available, let’s review the Pro and Con considerations for the Canon Speedlite MT-24EX.
7. Pros & Cons of Canon MT-24EX
- Consistent output with S/S, DOF, ISO, can be set as a constant and then the camera/flash will adjust everything else, so you can focus on just a point-and-shoot experience.
- Fast recycling
- Versatile with great E-TTL and manual controls. The modeling lights make focusing/composing simple in low light applications and the preview flash is nice for fine-tuning the final shot.
- Attaches Securely with a threaded mount for tripods and minirigs.
- Long-Lasting with over 132 shots without recharging batteries!
- Powerful — This flash gets rid of the single flash shadow!!
- Superior Quality and is built extremely solid – ready to last a lifetime of excellent pictures.
- Beautiful custom storage case, a good macro photography flash with a professional look. A nice zippered nylon case made to fit and the flash heads, control unit and wires all have their specific padded sections for organization and ease of packing.
- Easy To Use – easy to edit, no bad lighting, no dark areas.
- Flexible with the combination of the ability to have one or two lights on with ratio control, wide variety of independent angles to use the flashes, the ability to mount them separately, and wireless control.
- Lightweight & Quiet
- Powerful Output with extraordinary capabilities when used in either TTL or Manual mode.
- Easily Interchangeable with different adapter rings available through Canon and third parties.
- Quality of Results by setting the shutter speed constant, and the camera/flash will adjust everything else to perfection.
- Good Exposure Performance – get the shot no matter what!
- Heavy, adding weight to overall unit.
- Not interchangeable with all lenses.
- Bulky and not especially easy to travel with as it takes up a bit of space.
- Adapter eventually needed and not always available for all EOS bodies.
- Bright flash is sometimes overpowering, though can be compensated with diffusers or exposure compensation.
Out of the box, the Canon MT 24 EX is a high quality unit with significantly more advantages than setbacks. In beginning with this unit, carefully reading and understanding the full capabilities of the MT24 Flash is helpful in maximizing its potential and the many benefits of this great piece of equipment.
8. Best uses of professional Canon Macro Flash MT 24-EX
Though the MT 24-EX is best known for its macro photography uses, the versatility and flexibility of this unit makes it an excellent addition to a variety of photography settings.
The quality of the flash in natural lighting makes the MT24 excellent in capturing pictures in nature, whether snapping up-close shots of wildflowers or the complex lives of the world’s smallest creatures and insects.
Focusing on minute details has never been easier or more vivid. It is also ideal for outdoor weddings and other special events in natural lighting.
Though the Canon Macro Ring Flash operates well in natural lighting, it has excellent applications for using in low light settings, including night photography.
Even for general product photography or in day-to-day events, this flash makes an excellent addition to your photography equipment.
9. FAQ about Canon MT-24EX
Q. Is the flash easy to use as a handheld?
A. Yes, out of the box, the MT-24EX is easy to use and configure to your preferred settings. The flash can be easily mounted to your camera lens and used as a point and shoot when constant shutter speed is assigned.
A. The flexibility and adaptability of this flash will work great with these professional Canon DSLRs and you can enjoy superior performance.
Q. Will I need an adapter to use the MT24-EX flash with my Canon 100 Macro 2.8L lens?
A. The Canon FA-DC67A Filter Adapter is an affordable, quality 67mm option for adapting the MT24-EX flash to your lens. Other adapters including the 72mm adapter works well for other lens, such as the Sigma 150mm F2.8 lens and is compatible with 3rd party flashes rated for use with Canon protocols. Mounting the Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX Flash on the Canon EF 180mm f/3.5 L USM Macro lens requires the optional Canon Macro Lite Adapter 72C. The flash mount ring attaches directly to the objective end of the Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Lens, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens or Canon MP-E 65mm 1-5x f/2.8 Macro Lens.
Q. What kind of special batteries or power sources does the Canon Twin Lite MT-24EX need?
A. None! The macro flash Canon is powered by 4 AA Batteries. A Save Energy button allows the Macro Flash to go into sleep mode after 90 seconds, helping conserve battery life when not in immediate use.
Q. How does the MT-24EX flash perform with macro photography with magnifications 3x and above?
A. Macro photography with magnifications approaching 5x begin to yield a dark viewfinder. The 1-second modeling flash feature of the Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX Flash aids in focusing and gives a flash effect preview of your shot.
Q. How does the Canon MT-24EX flash compare with the Canon MR-14EX flash?
A. Canon MT-24EX vs Canon MR-14EX - The MR-14EX unit differs from the MT-24EX in a variety of ways, with the major difference being in the lack of adjustable settings. While the MR-14EX also features an LCD screen and wireless flash, it is primarily only adjustable by ratio control while the MT-24EX hosts a variety of adjustable settings and customizable features, including Compensation for Flash +/- exposure, Wireless E-TTL compatible off-camera 550EX or 420EX Slave Units, Flash Exposure Bracketing, FE Lock, and FP Sync, as well as Ratio Control of left : right (A:B) flash tubes over a 6-stop range.
10. What’s in the box?
So, if you buy the Canon MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Ringlite Flash you’ll get:
- Soft Case
- 1-Year Warranty
11. Frequently Bought Together with Canon MT-24EX Macro Flash
Customers frequently buy Canon mt-24ex macro twin lite flash with Canon Macrolite Adapter 67 mm
12. Photos taken with Canon MT-24EX Macro
This dragonfly photo was taken with Canon EOS 450 D, plus Canon MT-24EX macro twin lite flash, 68mm Extension tube and Sigma 105mm macro lens
Sawfly / Bladwesp
This image was taken using Canon MT-24EX macro flash, Canon EOS 450D SLR, 68mm Extension tubes, and Sigma 105mm lens
Green Bottle Fly / Keizervlieg
This photo was made with Canon EOS 450D camera, 68mm Extension tubes,
Sigma 105mm macro lens, and Canon MT-24EX flash
Shot was made with Canon 7D DSLR, Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens, Canon Twin MT-24EX macro flash, and selfmade diffuser
This nature photograph of a small insect was taken with a Canon 400D SLR & Canon EF 100 mm f/2.8 Macro lens. A Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX flash was also used
Macro shot with Canon Macro Twin Lite mt-24ex
Taken with Canon 1d3, MPE-65mm, and MT-24EX
Specs: Canon MT-24EX as master flash, E-TTL FEC -1 Head ratio 1:8 controlling the 430EX II off camera right reflecting off a white background.
Barklouse Climbing The Walls
Description: This insect was just about the length of a grain of rice. Caught him with the naked eye within the barrel of this pink and yellow flower. Taken with Canon 7D, MP-E 65 @ 2.5x mag., MT 24EX flash with diffusers/cotton, settings were 1/200, F9, ISO 100 and Hi Speed Sync Flash was used along with Macro rail and tripod.
13. Canon Macro Twin Lite mt-24 ex Price
The price of the Canon mt-24ex macro twin lite ring lite flash varies depending on where you buy it but Amazon tends to have the lowest price with 47% discount. You will save about $651.00
14. Canon Macro Flash for Beginning Photographers
The Canon MR-14EX is an excellent flash system ideal for professionals and amateurs alike.
The flash utilizes powerful E-TTL technology to provide a superior experience in extreme close up operations and with Macro pictures, instantly improving and eliminating blurry picture shots that can be common when first learning or beginning in Macro photography.
Get ready to see instant improvement and outcome in Macro and close up shots.
Easy to use, set up, and lightweight compared to twin flash version, the MR-14EX makes a great gift or addition to the flash equipment for a beginning photographer in Macro photography.
15. Canon MT-24EX Manuals
So, if you searched manuals for Canon MT 24EX flash using these search terms: mt-24ex manual, canon mt-24ex manual, macro twin lite mt-24ex manual, canon macro twin lite mt-24ex manual, canon mt-24ex manual pdf – we advice you to visit a link below
16. Experts’ advices
The experts at Canon pride themselves on providing the best performance in photography and flash. Formulating the MT-24EX Macro gave them a unique opportunity to create an amazingly adjustable and adaptable system that utilizes creative design and practical application to provide a powerful, easy-to-use flash for Canon DSLRs.
They suggest in macro photography, that the correct exposure depends on a subject. To be safe and get the best results using your Canon MT-24EX flash, always bracket your exposure for each subject.
17. Bottom line
In searching for amazing flash systems that will give us the professional, quality results we must have, it is important to consider a review can only give you some of the vital information.
As artists, we strive for precision and careful execution in all our work and sharing and reading the reviews of others who have actively used the MT-24EX is an essential tool in deciding whether it is the flash system for you.
Though the MT-24EX has some minor limitations, it remains an in-demand flash system that consistently performs and enhances Macro and general photography.
Equipment can be pricey but it’s important to recognize when having the right equipment can mean the difference between professional work and amateur status.
The bottom line is, the Canon Macro MT-24EX flash system will drastically improve the quality of your Macro photography and prove to be a valued addition to your equipment.
Why wait? The world is your photo.
18. The Best Canon Macro lenses to use with Canon MT-24EX Flash
There are several lens that can be used with the MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite, including the Canon 50mm Compact Macro, the Canon 65mm 1-5X Macro, the Canon 100mm Macro, the Canon 100mm 2-8L Macro Lens, and the Canon 180mm AutoFocus Telephoto. Each lens offers unique features and advantages that can be maximized with the MT-24EX.
1) The Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro Lens is an excellent choice for shooting minute detail from a passing butterfly to the petals on a small flower. The 50mm lens provides form and function as both a macro lens and a general purpose lens with a nine-element design and floating optical system.
2) For an exclusive Macro Lens, the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5X Macro Lens provides superior performance and focus from 1X (life-size) to 5X (a grain of rice fills the 35mm frame). With the Macro Twin Lite, it eliminates the want of awkward bellows assemblies and uses a floating system to provide enhance optical performance.
3) For exceptional close-ups and top Macro performance, the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens uses a 3-group floating system and a full-time manual focus to provide astounding precision and optical quality. For autofocusing, the 100mm Lens uses an Ultra-Sonic Monitor to provide excellent speed at all distances.
4) The Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM 1-to-1 Macro Lens offers powerful performance with sleek, sophisticated Image Stabilization with quiet Ultrasonic focusing. An unrivaled lens in Macro photography, this 100mm lens stands above the rest in precision and quality.
5) For advanced Macro photographers, the Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Autofocus Telephoto Lens utilizes 3 UD glass elements and internal floating system to assure unrivaled performance in every shot. This lens boasts a focusing range of 1.57 feet to infinity and supports EF Extender 1.4x and 2x.
19. Perfect gift for the photographer
When searching for the perfect gift for the photographer in your life, consider the Canon MT 24-EX as the ideal solution.
The 24-EX flash system is a very versatile and flexible system that can be used in conjunction with Canon DSLR cameras and accessories.
Easily adapted with 3rd party adapter rings, this flash system will quickly become a go-to piece of equipment for close up and macro photography.
For a gift they will remember through thousands of photographs, give a complete set including the Canon MT 24-EX flash, the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5X Macro Lens, and an Opteka Tri-Color Hard Flash Diffuser Set.
Buy the best gift for the photographer
20. The Best selling Books about Flash Photography
(Back to Top)
Amazon.com rating: 4.8 stars out of 26 reviews
Mastering Canon EOS Flash Photography Price – Click this link to save $15.29 (34%) today
Watch a video about “Mastering Canon EOS Flash Photography” book
The brilliant, missing manual that Canon failed to provide… (read more here Mastering Canon Flash Photography)
Canon should have used this book! (read more here …Basically, this is a manual on how to use the lights and make them work)
Best Currently Available Book On Canon EOS Flash Photography! This book provides all the information you need to make effective use of Canon’s various “speedlites” with Canon EOS cameras. (read more here: It includes a huge amount of information on Canon flash technology, as well as information on flash technique)
Mastering Canon EOS Flash Photography Amazon.com rating: 4.8 stars out of 26 reviews
Amazon.com rating: 5 stars out of 182 reviews
Speedliter’s Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites Book Price – Click this link to save $18.89 (38%) today
The Definitive Reference on Canon Speedliting (& much more)… (read full review here – Canon shooters in particular will absolutely love this…)
The book really explains how lighting equipment works, including the specifics of Canon Speedlites along with… (continue reading here studio equipment along with specific…)
The Canon flash bible! – (read more here – If, like me, you’ve got a couple of speedlites and had already got them off the camera, then…)
Speedliter’s Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites Amazon.com rating: 5 stars out of 173 reviews
Amazon.com rating: 5 stars out of 39 reviews
Off-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Photographers Book Price – Click this link to save $11.88 (34%) today
Absolutely Essential Reading! The book is filled with these great photos and he breaks them all down so you can see what went into creating the final product. I’ve read many great lighting books but this one… (continue reading by clicking this link - really has it all)
Take your photography up a notch! This book is pretty awesome, well written and easy to understand. Topics include:… (continue reading here The Right Gear, Exposure Control for Ambient Light…)
The Most Useful Book – Worth Buying! I have made great advances on my use of flash with… (continue reading – his generous tips and techniques…)
Off-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Photographers Amazon.com rating: 5 stars out of 33 reviews
Amazon.com rating: 5 stars out of 98 reviews
On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography Book Price – Click this link to save $13.98 (40%) today
A must-have book for anyone interested in lighting! What a wonderful book. Just having read through it the first time I’m overwhelmed with… (full review is here – the amount of fantastic info in here)
Possibly my favorite photography book to date! IT ROCKS! I got it today and I am done with it already. I couldn’t put it down. Thank goodness… (continue reading – …I had the time to read it…)
On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography Amazon.com rating: 5 stars out of 89 reviews
Amazon.com rating: 4.8 stars out of 11 reviews
Doug Box’s Flash Photography: On- and Off- Camera Techniques for Digital Photographers Book Price – Click this link to save $13.69 (39%) today
Doug has clearly explained the many nuances of flash photography & illustrates these concepts with numerous photographs. This book takes… (continue reading here – what is often times a difficult subject for photographers to understand, & …)
Best book on flash in ages! Flash Photography, by Doug Box, assumes nothing and offers clear concise guidance in a logical chronology, including… (continue reading – stunning examples and snippets of his own…)
My favorite book on off camera flash! I have purchased several books on flash photography, but I keep picking this one up to refer to. Easy to understand, and… (continue reading here – has beautiful images that demonstrate before and after results.)
Doug Box’s Flash Photography: On- and Off- Camera Techniques for Digital Photographers Amazon.com rating: 5 stars out of 11 reviews